Halfords is the leading car maintenance, leisure and cycle retailer in the UK, operating through over 400 stores, e-commerce channels and B2B routes to market.
Halfords' strategy is to maintain and leverage its core strengths and to develop exciting new opportunities for growth whilst maintaining a keen eye on customer service. Their leading brands such as Ripspeed and Bikehut, together with innovative marketing strategies, keep Halfords at the forefront in their operating sectors.
Successful marketing activity is currently generating growing customer revenues for the Halfords e-commerce business which provides a fast and efficient online store for web based ordering, fulfillment and distribution, providing a 24/7 route to market.
- With increasing volumes of customers needing to be processed quickly and efficiently, Halfords quickly realised that to have a successful ecommerce strategy they also needed to ensure that their business was defended against fraudsters transacting on their site with stolen and cloned credit and debit cards
- In order to maintain high levels of customer service and also to provide a great online shopping experience, Halfords needed to ensure that the transactional customer identity verification was invisible to their customer, was in real-time and was robust
- Finally Halfords wanted to implement an anti-fraud approach that didn't reject potential valid customers, so that their ID check solution enabled them to beat the fraudster and yet verify all possible valid customers and maximise revenue
- Halfords also recognised that the large range of product values being ordered over the web necessitated a solution that delivered an ID check that was in proportion to the transaction valueThe Solution
After meetings with retail sector specialist account managers from 192business, we drew up a list of Halfords' requirements:
- Instant Name and Address verification on each transaction
- Checks needed to be proportional to transaction value
- Potential fraudulent transactions identified
- Valid customers verified
- Scaleable offering as sales volumes grow
We're a fast moving business, transacting 24/7 via our growing e-commerce online store. The customer experience is of paramount importance to Halfords and therefore a speedy identity verification is vital, together with a water-tight analysis of the level of risk. With 192 eShopper-ID we get this important balance right.
Jon Asbury, Development Manager,
The Benefits immediately enjoyed by Halfords
- Elimination of fraudulent transactions
- Peace of mind from a robust defence against the fraudster
- Excellent customer service to Halfords' customers
- Reduction in costly manual checks
- Operational ease of use
This automated, secure and modular solution ensures that our clients can instantly make a supported decision on each transaction, without the need for time-costly manual checks such as directory enquiries, yellow pages or other proof of address sources.
Grant Greenwood - Product Manager
at 192.com Business Services
The 192business account manager worked closely with us to find an ID check solution that checked the relevant customer characteristics in a way that kept costs down and ensured a high match rate - and that's what we've implemented
Jon Asbury, Development Manager